Rwanda Prime Minister Dr Edouard Ngirente has encouraged Turkish investors to invest in Africa as the continent focuses on industrialisation.
Dr Ngirente was in Istanbul, Turkey, representing Rwandan president and Chairperson of the African Union Paul Kagame in the 2nd Turkey-Africa Economic and Business Forum.
This two-day Forum from October 10 to 11 was chaired by Turkish president Recep Tayyip Erdogan and attended by more than 3000 high level officials including Ethiopian president Mulatu Teshome Wirtu.
In his remarks, Dr Ngirente commended the Government of Turkey, the Foreign Economic Relations Board of Turkey, the African Union Commission and their partners, for having jointly organized this important Forum.
The Premier hailed bilateral relations between Turkey and African continent that have gained substantial momentum as a result of Turkish “Opening to Africa policy” that has ushered in a continuous phase of mutually reinforced economic partnership.
He reassured Turkish partners of Africa’s commitment to nurturing this partnership and informed them that Africa is looking forward to implementing recommendations from this Forum.
Speaking for Rwanda, the Premier said: “We have established a very competitive business environment, which is underpinned by zero tolerance for corruption. We welcome Turkish investments in light manufacturing including construction materials, textiles and garments, wood processing, agro-processing, hospitality and many other subsectors. The Rwanda Development Board which is represented here, stands ready to render any support needed”.
About Turkey-Africa Economic and Business Forum
- In 2008, the African Union declared Turkey as a strategic partner, and since then relations have increasingly grown stronger.
- The 1st Turkey-Africa Economic and Business Forum was held under the auspices of President of the Republic of Turkey H.E. Recep Tayyip Erdogan and the Term Chairman of African Union, President of the Republic of Chad H.E. Idriss Deby Itno on 2-3 November 2016 in Istanbul. The Forum, under the motto of “Unite, Discover, Create”, brought together 50 high level officials and 3,000 business people from Turkey and 49 African countries.
- This year (2018), the 2nd Turkey-Africa Economic and Business Forum is jointly organized by Turkish Ministry of Commerce, the African Union, and Foreign Economic Relations Board of Turkey (DEİK). Its theme: “Invest in a Sustainable Future Together: Turkey and Africa” and the motto is: “Building a Sustainable Future Together through investments and joint ventures.”
- The Forum is mainly aimed at promoting Turkish and Africa investments through analysing trade and economic relations between Africa and Turkey; evaluating Turkey’s approach to investment in Africa; facilitating interaction between the two business communities and initiating dialogue between Turkish investors, the AU and the Regional Economic Communities (RECs).
- The Forum is also aimed at highlighting the expectations created by Agenda 2063 as a program for social, economic and political transformation that will make Africa a prosperous, united and economically independent Continent.
- This event is attended by economy, trade and finance Ministers from African countries, chairs and presidents of chambers, NGOs, business associations and professional organizations, the commissioners of AUC and secretary generals of African regional economic communities, representatives of African Development Bank (AfDB) and other financial institutions, diplomatic missions, press members, business people and investors both from Turkey and the Continent.
- The Forum will be addressing the following four sub-themes: Infrastructure, Construction, Manufacturing, Tourism and Fashion.