BY PAUL TENTENA
KAMPALA, UGANDA- Frederick Kibbedi, the new President of the Institute of Certified Public Accountants of Uganda (ICPAU) has promised to crackdown on all unqualified individuals working as accountants in different institutions, organizations and companies throughout the country.
Saying he will use the Accountants Act 2013 that mandates ICPAU to provide for the control of accountants and to provide for the disciplining of accountants and the maintenance of professional standards, he said the noose is going to crackdown on all those practicing illegally.
“We have provided all the necessary channels for all those still studying and practicing accountancy to get the necessary academic qualifications to practice. The noose is going to crackdown on all those practicing illegally,” said Kibeddi during the release of the June 2018 ICPAU Examinations results that showed 127 Certified Public Accountants added to Uganda’s list of qualified accountants.
Uganda now has cumulatively 3,246 students or individuals qualified as CPAs.
CPA Frederick Kibbedi was elected by the ICPAU Council as the new president replacing CPA Protazio Begumisa who has served for two years, having been elected in June 2016.
At the same Council meeting, CPA Ruth Doreen Mutebe was elected the first female vice president of ICPAU since its inception in 1992.
The meeting came one week after seven members, as per the Accountants Act, 2013 were elected to office at the 24th Annual General Meeting. According to the Accountants Act, the seven members elected through the secret ballot system by all members of the Institute convene and amongst themselves select a president and a vice president.
After receiving the instruments of power from CPA Protazio Begumisa, CPA Kibbedi thanked all members for entrusting him with the responsibility of leading the accountancy profession for the next two years.
He further laid out key areas his regime would be putting emphasis on for the growth and development of the profession.
He said he will creat space for professional accountants, ensure quality of their trade and build the CPA brand in particular and the professional accountancy brand in general, of which a crackdown on illegal accountants will be key.
ICPAU Council in FULL:
- CPA Frederick Kibbedi President Partner, PKF Uganda
- CPA Ruth Doreen Mutebe Vice President Consultant and Practitioner at RDM and Co Certified Public Accountant
- CPA Harriet Nabufu Kiwanuka Member Senior Principal Banking Officer, Bank of Uganda
- CPA Edna Isimbwa Rugumayo Member Director Corporate Services, Uganda National Roads Authority
- CPA Stephen Ineget Member Partner at KPMG East Africa
- CPA Geoffrey Byamugisha Member Country Managing Partner at Ernst & Young Uganda
- CPA Constant Othieno Mayende Member Director/Chairman of Risco Enterprises Limited
- CPA Keto Kayemba Ex-officio Member Assistant Auditor General, Office of the Auditor General
- CPA Godfrey Ssemugooma Ex-officio Member Commissioner, Accountant General’s Office
- Mr. Patrick Byakatonda Ex-officio Member Ag. Assistant Commissioner, Ministry of Education and Sports.